How to Grilled Flatbread
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus much more tfor dusting
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat grains
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Vegetable oil (for brushing)
- Ancho Chile Essential oil, Green Charmoula, and grated Parmesan or maybe Cotija cheese
- Puréed dark beans, sliced avocado, radishes, and pico de gallo
- Sliced plum tomatoes, refreshing basil, essential olive oil, and crema (or sour cream)
Dissolve yeast in 3 cups tepid to warm water in a huge bowl. Add total and all-purpose wheat flours; mix together with your fingertips until a shaggy dough varieties. Covers bowl with plastic material wrap and enable rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle salt over dough, then add sour cream; knead until well incorporated and dough pulls away from sides of bowl and holds together in a loose, wet ball, about 5 minutes (dough will be very soft and wet; lightly moisten your hands to prevent sticking if needed). Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Knead dough an additional 4-5 times to deflate. Cover and chill for up to 2 days. (Dough will develop in flavor and continue to rise slowly in refrigerator.) Alternatively, let dough stand at room temperature until doubled in volume, 3-4 hours (the warmer and more humid your kitchen is, the faster it will rise). Chill for 1 hour before grilling to make it easier to handle.
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Generously flour a work surface. Working with 1 or 2 2 portions at a time (depending on how many flatbreads will fit on your grill), roll out dough or press with your hands into a 1/4-inch-thick shape. (It doesn’t have to be perfectly round.)
Brush grill rack with oil. Grill flatbreads until charred on one side and no longer sticking with grill lightly, 2-3 mins. Using tongs, convert flatbreads and grill until through cooked, 1-2 minutes much longer. Add sought after toppings and serve nice.