How to Grilled Flatbreads With Apples, Bacon, And Onion
Use store-bought pizza dough seeing as the canvas for this spin on Alsatian pizza.
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour plus more
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated cheddar, Gruyère, or Fontina cheese (2 ounces)
- Cayenne pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, root end intact, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 firm, tart apples, such as Cortland or Pink Lady, quartered, cored, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1-pound store-bought pizza dough, room temperature
Heat butter in a medium saucepan over low heat until melted and just beginning to foam. Whisk in 2 Tbsp. flour; cook, stirring often, until flour begins to smell nutty, about 5 minutes. Whisk in milk; cook gently over low heat, stirring often, until mixture thickens, about 20 minutes. Add cheese; whisk until combined. Season Mornay sauce to taste with cayenne, nutmeg, and salt. DO AHEAD Mornay sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crisp and browned; transfer to paper towels to drain; set aside.
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Place onion in a medium bowl. Drizzle with 2 tsp. oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill onion, turning occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Place apples in same medium bowl; drizzle with 2 tsp. oil. Grill, turning occasionally, until charred in tender and areas, about 12 minutes.
Transfer apples to good sized bowl with onion; put rosemary, sage, thyme, and reserved bacon. Toss to mix. Time with salt and covers and pepper; keep warm.
Rewarm Mornay sauce through medium-low high temperature, stirring occasionally. Stir in crème personally fraîche and aside collection.
Divide pizza dough into 2 equal pieces; condition each piece right into a ball. Roll out each ball on a floured exterior to an 8-in . round. Brush with 1 tsp. oil; put on grill, oiled sides down. Brush different sides with remaining 1 tsp. oil.
Grill flatbreads, looking at carefully and moving seeing as had a need to promote cooking and stop burning even, until sharp and charred on bottom level, 1-2 minutes. Convert flatbreads over and make until cooked and sharp through, 1-2 minutes longer. Transfer flatbreads to a fabulous ongoing work surface.
Spread 1 / 2 of warmed Mornay sauce through each flatbread. Best sauce with apple blend. Lower flatbreads into wedges.